10 January 2011

Not Just a Library

This is a blog about books for boys. It just so happens that, in addition to being the mother of a boy, I am also an elementary teacher-librarian. I sometimes veer off course and write about my work, but mainly this space is for sharing books that my son likes. I hope that it inspires others to read to their boys, but beyond that I do not have a grand agenda.

Okay, so that was basically a disclaimer before I go on with what I really want to talk about in this post. Libraries. Some people do not think we need them anymore, at least not in schools. Considering my profession, I am a bit biased on this topic. You know, job security, bills to pay, a son to raise and all that. Seriously, though, school libraries (and qualified librarians) are still essential to education. I could try to coherently string my thoughts together regarding why I think they are important, but the argument has been made much more eloquently than I ever could.

Joyce Valenza recently responded to a suggestion that libraries and teacher-librarians be down-sized with this blog post. Don't take my word for it that school libraries are essential and that teacher-librarians are important educators. Read hers and then look around and make up your own mind.

1 comment:

  1. I write especially for boys. Please see my
    Books for Boys Blog http://booksandboys.blogspot.com
    Author Web Site http://www.maxbooks.9k.com

    ReplyDelete