23 April 2013

No Fear


We had our annual poetry exhibition at school yesterday, followed by an open mic night tonight and students reciting poems at our quarterly PTA meeting.  Some students wrote their own poems, some memorized a favorite funny poem, others recited poems written by their moms. 

All of them did an excellent job and I was proud of them for being brave enough to stand in front of their peers and strangers to share poetry.  I saw some quaking knees and heard lots of deep breaths, but they all pulled through.  Fear didn't stop them, though most of them wouldn't admit to being afraid anyway.

I'm Not Afraid of the Dark

Oh, I'm not afraid of the darkness.
I don't mind an absence of light.
I can't say I'm scared of the sunset
or things that go "bump" in the night.

I've never been frightened of monsters
or tentacles under my bed.
Not skeletons, witches or goblins
or creatures come back from the dead.

I'm not at all worried of werewolves,
or even a vampire's bite.
I'm simply not scared of the darkness,
except when you turn off the light.

--Kenn Nesbitt

No comments:

Post a Comment