23 December 2011

May Your Days Be Merry and Bright

One of my new Christmas traditions is going to see "White Christmas" at the Carolina Theater downtown.  They play a classic film series and have played "White Christmas" and "It's A Wonderful Life" for the past couple of years.  This year they added "Miracle on 34th Street" to the repertoire.  They have had a good response to the movies and plan to add more viewings next year.

Last night, I attended the movie with a friend and her daughter.  We ran into a couple of people that we knew in the crowd and sat in the balcony of the old-fashioned, two-story theater.  It was a packed house.  After watching "White Christmas" throughout my childhood on a television screen in my parents' living room, it is fun to see it on a big screen in a full theater.  The audience applauded after each musical number, laughed in unison at Danny Kaye's antics and sang along with the finale.  It was one of my favorite things that I have done to celebrate Christmas so far this year.

Isaac did not go with me (he was playing laser tag with Matt and a friend).  I didn't think he would like it and I wanted to be able to enjoy the movie.  I may take him next year.  We will definitely see "Miracle on 34th Street" again next year -- that will be a tradition that he and I will have together.  But "White Christmas" is for me.  Having him join me would be nice, but not necessary.

I watched "A Christmas Story" with him and Matt last weekend, and most of the things we do during this season are geared toward him.  Tonight we will watch "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and before Isaac goes to bed on Christmas Eve we will watch "A Charlie Brown Christmas."  But last night was for me.  And it was good.

No comments:

Post a Comment