17 November 2011

Always Look On the Bright Side of Life

I asked Isaac what book I should write about tonight and this was his pick . . . I'm the Biggest Thing in the Ocean by Kevin Sherry. It is about a giant squid who spends almost the whole book bragging about how he is, well, the biggest creature in the ocean.  Until he is swallowed by a whale.  But he quickly regains his composure when he realizes that he is now the biggest thing inside the whale.

The illustrations are really cute and the squid's exuberance is contagious.  Even when you are sure that he is totally crushed by the circumstances he finds himself in (being swallowed by a whale would depress just about anyone, I would think), he manages to find the silver lining and bounce back.

This was actually a good book for me to reflect on tonight.  It's been a bumpy couple of days, but there is always something positive to reflect on and it is always better to focus on the good stuff than the bad.  For a realist like me (I don't like the term pessimist -- too negative) that is a message that cannot be repeated often enough, especially during the times when it feels like you are in the belly of a whale.

No comments:

Post a Comment