26 November 2011

A New Hero in Town

I read my first comic book/graphic novel after reading Michael Chabon's book The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.  Well, maybe not my first, but my first in a long time.  The plot centers around a comic creating duo and I loved the book.  I was curious enough after reading it to seek out some comics.  I didn't become a devotee of the format, but I can appreciate a good graphic novel.

I also read Chabon's YA book, Summerland.  This book's plot revolved around baseball.  I was not as much of a fan.

Now Chabon has written a picture book, The Astonishing Secret of Awesome Man.  I was excited when I saw a colleague with it a couple of months ago.  Chabon and superheroes -- it felt like he was going back to what I first loved him doing.

We bought our nephew the book for Christmas, so, of course, I read it to Isaac to make sure it would be a hit.  He liked it.  I will not give away the end, there is a bit of a twist.  After finishing it, Isaac and I looked back through the illustrations to see if there were clues to Awesome Man's true identity that we missed.  There were, and it was fun to see the clues now that we knew what they meant.

For a boy who likes superheroes, this is a great book.  It's a nice change from the Marvel and DC heroes that I have been learning so much about these past few years.

No comments:

Post a Comment