16 November 2011

Knock, Knock

I have helped weed the children's library at church more than once.  The first time we were renovating and moving the library to a new room. We tossed some really old books, but kept enough to have a good-sized library.  The second time we were reorganizing the space to work better for our Sunday School program and tossed more books that were hopelessly outdated.

During the first round of weeding, Matt grabbed a couple of books that he found particularly funny -- very old, very Southern Baptsist guides for boys and girls.  The second time, I did not give him a chance to save any -- I very liberally filled garbage bags and hid them from his view.

Apparently, I was not as thorough as I had thought.  A couple of weeks ago I found a book that made me chuckle while at the same time shaking my head in consternation.  The book is called Clean Jokes for Children.  Not to be confused with the book Dirty Jokes for Children because we want it to be clear that nothing inappropriate is between the covers.

I cannot link to the book I found, it is that old, but did find some others with similar titles . .  there is 777 Great Clean Jokes, 202 Good Clean Jokes for Kids, and Extremely Good Clean Jokes for Kids.

I brought the book home for Isaac because he is going through a joke phase, Knock Knock jokes especially. (If anyone knows any new ones, please share.  The Amos Quito bit me joke is getting a bit tired.  But, please make sure they are clean.)

Okay, so if you have not caught on, I cannot contain my sarcasm when referencing the title of this book.  I want to ask who would publish a children's book and include dirty jokes?  But as soon as I ask that I am sure someone will be able to find me an example.  But it should go without saying that if the book is meant for children, the jokes will not be of the adult variety.

Of course, this book was in a church library and is a Christian publication from the 1950's, so the "clean" does not necessarily refer to the absence of innuendos or unsavory content as we would view it today.  What it really probably means is that there are no fart jokes.  I am not a huge fan of fart jokes, but I have a six-year old boy so they are part of my life.  And that is okay.  As long as Isaac knows when he can and cannot share the jokes, I will indulge his need to make fun of bodily functions.

Luckily, we attend a church where a book like this is laughed at as being rather ridiculous. (I got a few rolled eyes when I passed it around our pew.)  Boys, and girls, are encouraged to be themselves, unclean jokes and all, and are taught that they are loved even when they are uncouth.  And yes, Isaac is allowed to tell his fart jokes to our friends at church.  Our minister has probably taught him one or two himself.

No comments:

Post a Comment